If you haven’t been down to the Victoria Cruise Terminal or the Breakwater in recent weeks, you might not be aware of the hive of activity underway in advance of the cruise season. The first ship of the season arrives on Tuesday, April 16.
Over the past few months, we have been busy preparing the site for the season ahead. A few notable changes include the arrival of a new barge that serves first for wave attenuation and second as the popular Breakwater Barge event space. Improvements to the barge are continuing in advance of the weekly Friday Nights at The Breakwater Barge, which begin in late May.
A bold new ‘feature wall’ is being created on the east (or front) side of the Pier A warehouse.
Other improvements to the terminal include both marine and passenger related improvements, such as:
- Installation of five new 200-tonne bollards used to tie up ship lines
- Construction and installation of a new pedestrian ramp up to Dallas Rd.
- Repaving and painting of major pedestrian walkways, with improved wayfinding
- Installation of additional pathway post & chains for improved walkability from Pier A
- Construction of two additional information kiosks for volunteer greeters
- Updated and enlarged facility for crew, sponsored and run by Lighthouse Ministries
Installation of netting on the warehouse roof to prevent seagull nesting and the subsequent odour in the heat of summer,